Janma Aoushada Mantra Japaha Samadhi Sidhyayaha
Accomplishments may be attained through birth, use of herbs, incantation and self-discipline. Many sadhakas who were initiated through mantras did penance and became spiritual masters. There is an important distinction between the means of spiritual accomplishment, among them there are five main ways:
- Aspiration to become perfect by way of birth is called Janma
- Spiritual experience gained through drugs is Aoushadi
- By incantation of the name of one’s desired deity is Mantra
- By devotional practice is Tapas.
- By profound meditation is Samadhi
Followers of the first three may drop downward from the grace of yoga through the influence of their pride and negligence. The others who follow tapas and Samadhi become masters like Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Ramana Maharshi who were accomplished yogis by birth. Mandavya was a sage who reached Samadhi by tapas.